Plan to adopt a kitten? Well, as a pet owner, you have many things to consider, but most importantly, you need to select the right brand of kitten food. Cats, in general, need a diet that’s full of nutrients and is low on fat. Here’s what you need to know about buying cat food.
Dry food vs. wet food
If you have a hectic lifestyle, dry kitten food is easily the best choice for your cat. Once added to the plate, it can be eaten all day along and is quite dense in nutrients. With dry food, you need to keep in mind that the cat might not be getting of moisture and protein, while the carb content is considerably higher. Wet food, on the other hand, is high in water content, which is important, but you need to serve it fresh.
What to check while buying kitten food?
Please note that products that are sold for cats are not ideal for kittens for obvious reasons. Here are the things you need to check.
- Ingredient list. Your kitten needs all the macronutrients in the right proportions. So, make sure that the food is rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and is low in carb. Taurine is one of the things worth finding in the label.
- The flavors. Some cats prefer meat-based food, such as beef and chicken, while others are happier with tuna. The idea is to experiment initially to know the preferences of the pet, but yes, do not compromise on the brand.
- Animal protein is necessary. Cats and kittens need protein on a regular basis, just like dogs. As such, you need to check the protein content per serving. A considerable part of calories should come from protein in each meal for adequate development.
- As mentioned in point 2, brand is an important aspect, and you need to find one that has been through AAFCO feeding trials. This means that the formula has been given to healthy cats and kittens for testing.
- Expiry date. As with any product, you need to check the expiry date before selecting a kitten food product. If you intend to stock the product, make sure to buy something with extended expiry date.
Finally, do check reviews. There are many websites that do detailed reviews of cat and kitten food brands, which can be really handy for comparing options. Also, you can get good discounts from some of the online stores.